[Buddha-l] Is polyamory kilesa?

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Mon May 14 12:07:15 MDT 2007

Since the Buddha himself is not represented as having any such experience,
how can what he said about fornication, or whatever word is used to
translate that precept, be taken literally?
Seems to me people have to find their own way on this deal. However,
polyamory was big in the 60s and 70s (they called it "open marriage") and it
led to lots of broken households and rigorous emotional distress of both
adults and children.  I never heard anyone defend the idea seriously, except
as a "fun thing to do" rationalized as "freedom."  IMO, the sexual freedom
ideology of the sixties was among its more stupid ideas.

Joanna

"I'm convinced you can have sexual intimacy and emotional intimacy 'out of
wedlock', without that threatening the love you feel for your primary
partner and vice versa"
- I am not convinced of this - - in practice.. - not that I have had that
much practice at it...

maybe it is more akusala than kilesa?

D.