[Buddha-l] Age of the Sutta Nipata

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Mon May 14 19:42:14 MDT 2007

Buddha-Lites,

One of the fascinating things about Buddhology and related fields is that
there are puzzles to be
solved, but unlike jigzaw puzzles there is no one way to solve them, there
is no picture to complete
even. Perhaps there has never been any picture at all.

Then again perhaps the picture IS already complete. There is the mountain,
and we can view it from
many angles and talk about it in different ways. We can sing songs, write
music, tell stories about mountains, and they are simply beautiful and
fascinating.

I like to see Buddhology, or more simply for me as Buddha Dharma, as
climbing the mountain, camping
near a waterfall, enjoying the fresh air, and the peace. and seeing myself
in that mossy rocks, the
massive crags, the misty trees, shy inhabitants, and strange bugs. I see
myriad stars in the cloudless
moonless sky. My life is complete and connected.

Understandably, the early Buddhists were very much a nature people. Borders
amongst religions were
also less obvious then. It was more a matter of the less happy learning from
the happier, the moving
learning to be still. Perhaps we are heading towards that age.

Meantime:
Perhaps a combination of the two--Buddhology and Buddha Dharma--would be
such a workable plan after all. (I happily recall "Buddhist Theology",
2000.)

Malaysia celebrated Vesak in the early May, and Singapore in late May, this
year. So we have a double
Vesak feeling here.

Happy Buddha Day, Buddha-Lites.

Piya Tan