[Buddha-l] Neurophysiology (was: Different criticisms...)

Margaret Gouin Margaret.Gouin at bristol.ac.uk
Wed May 16 01:22:45 MDT 2007

On Tue, May 15, 2007 6:17 pm, Richard Hayes wrote:
> Some neurophysiological studies have suggested that the brain is
hard-wired to
give preferential treatment to beings deemed to be like oneself. ...
If it were to turn out that it
> really IS impossible to care for outsiders, foreigners, insects and
aliens from
> other galaxies who land in Roswell as a mother cares for her only child,
> then the implications for Buddhist practices aimed at cultivating Great
> Compassion would be rather dire.

My understanding, from work done by the Mind&Life folks
(www.mindandlife.org) among others, is that it is indeed possible, through
focused meditation, to stimulate the parts of the brain that generate
attitudes of compassion, etc. The concept of neuroplasticity suggests that
how we use the brain can actually change its structure, which in turn
suggests that there really is no such thing as 'hard-wiring'. However, I
have no doubt there is a deeply ingrained tendency to value the safety of
oneself, one's family and community over that of strangers, it's a simple
survival strategy.

--
Margaret Gouin
PhD Candidate