[Buddha-l] RE: Article of possible interest--correction

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Tue May 22 03:49:37 MDT 2007

Joy Vriens schreef:
> Joanna wrote:
>
> >Karma, War and Inequality in Twentieth Century Japan
> >
> >By Brian Victoria
> >
> >HYPERLINK
> >"http://japanfocus.org/products/details/2421"http://japanfocus.org/products/
>
> >details/2421
>
> The same attitude can be found in Tibetan Buddhism.
>
> Extract from Thrangu Rinpoche's book King of Samadhi:
>
> "STUDENT: Some of my students are not necessarily Buddhist and they
> think the idea of accumulating merit is very strange. They ask me,
> "Why should the acts of making offerings, doing circumambulations, and
> so on create anything at all?" I don't feel that I answer them well.
> They also say, "It is it even stranger to think Chat, having done
> these things, you can give the merit away." Even though I personally
> feel this is a funny question, I would like it if you would explain in
> detail how it works, in a way that I can explain to my students.
>
> RINPOCHE: First of all, you cannot really blame others for not
> understanding. They haven't studied or tried to understand the cause
> and effect of karmic deeds, and therefore don't understand the
> principle of gathering or creating merit. You should start with
> explaining the ripening of karmic actions, the different types of
> cause and effect of karma. The effect of some karmic actions ripen in
> the same life, while others manifest only in a future life.
> Take the example of Prince Charles, who was born as Queen Elizabeth's
> son. Why was he born as her son? It was only possible through his own
> good karma. There is no one who issued the decree, "He is allowed to
> be the Prince of England and you are not allowed to be born in that
> position." No one makes this decision. It is the automatic result of
> people's individual karmic accumulation created from the past. He had
> somehow gathered the merit to become Prince of England while other
> people did not. In the same way, when we see children dying of
> starvation in Africa, it raises the question, "Why were they born in
> Africa? Why do they have to suffer this way?" It is because they were
> reborn as human beings at this particular time and place in Africa.
> Did anyone force them to be reborn there? Did someone say, "Now you
> must be reborn in a place in Africa where you will starve to death"?
> No, no one forces living beings to be reborn in this way. The fact
> that people are born into such circumstances is because of lacking
> merit. From that standpoint, it is definitely very important to
> accumulate merit. Having merit, one can be born the Prince of England;
> lacking merit, one may be born as a starving child in Africa. Think
> about this and see that there is a definite need to create merit."
We have obviously a person here who has learned to read and to listen,
but never learned to think and has a very peculiar view of the world. I
wonder if Rche would be able to pass a highschoolexam. Still he imposes
his quotes of wholy book on the mass of believers. Reminds me of some
politicians and of course the Pope.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950