[Buddha-l] RE: Article of possible interest--correction

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Tue May 22 04:17:50 MDT 2007

This seems to me to be rather extraordinary cultural arrogance. How
can a view which is so widespread in the world be simply dismissed as
'a very peculiar view of the world' ?

Erik writes:
>We have obviously a person here who has learned to read and to
>listen, but never learned to think and has a very peculiar view of
>the world. I wonder if Rche would be able to pass a highschoolexam.
>Still he imposes his quotes of wholy book on the mass of believers.
>Reminds me of some politicians and of course the Pope.

Then:
At 10.01 am +0200 22/5/07, Joy Vriens wrote:
>The "Even though I personally feel this is a funny question" makes
>me sigh, because I feel the student, who apparently is a teacher
>himself, is denying his own doubts and feels he has to add he thinks
>it is a funny question, although he himself didn't seem to be able
>to come up with a satisfying answer.

I interpret this entirely differently. At the end of the day
knowledge of kamma, etc. is something you perceive the truth of
through faith and  understand better only through a type of insight
knowledge.

So I sympathize with the questioner because I often have the feeling
that something dogmatic in western education makes it difficult to
understand this kind of thing and so one often gives up on the task
of explaining because it seems quite hopeless.

One thing can be said:

Theravada monks (and probably teachers in other traditions too) tend
to talk about people as experiencing the results of their deeds when
they feel that the listener needs more equanimity. If they feel that
more loving-kindness or compassion is needed, they talk in other ways.

Either can deteriorate - whether into cold unfeelingness or into
yucky sentimentality.

Lance Cousins