[Buddha-l] RE: Article of possible interest--correction

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Tue May 22 22:50:14 MDT 2007

L.S. Cousins wrote:

> Chris,

>> I've never met a single teacher who has seriously claimed that karma or
>> rebirth can be in some way be physically or logically proven  - but the
>> majority seem to think that if one calls oneself a Buddhist these things
>> should be accepted as a matter of faith or trust.

> It is quite common for Theravada teachers to claim that past lives can
> be remembered in meditation.

The same thing in Tibetan, and I'm sure other Buddhist traditions. This
amounts to a claim that rebirth is experientially "provable" to an
individuals satisfaction if he / she carries out certain procedures
(practicing meditation).

I think you need to have a certain amount of *faith* in the system &
teachings to judge it worthwhile to sit down and meditate. That faith may be
based on something observable but difficult to quantify - such as that
individuals who practice meditation appear to develop qualities which
you find positive such equanimity, selflessness and kindness.

Many Buddhists, who haven't meditated and recalled past lives, do believe
in the integrity of teachers who make the claims that this is possible -
and so take rebirth as 'true'.

If you don't have a certain amount of faith or belief in the outcome
at the start its difficult to proceed with anything.

- Chris