[Buddha-l] RE: Article of possible interest--correction

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Tue May 22 23:18:09 MDT 2007

Chris,

>The same thing in Tibetan, and I'm sure other Buddhist traditions. This
>amounts to a claim that rebirth is experientially "provable" to an
>individuals satisfaction if he / she carries out certain procedures
>(practicing meditation).
>
>I think you need to have a certain amount of *faith* in the system &
>teachings to judge it worthwhile to sit down and meditate. That faith may be
>based on something observable but difficult to quantify - such as
>that individuals who practice meditation appear to develop qualities
>which
>you find positive such equanimity, selflessness and kindness.

I don't think that many people would recommend meditating for this
reason. It is perhaps more of a by-product. But it is not ruled out
and you do occasionally meet individuals who claim to have done it.

Personally I simply accept it as part of the way thing are without
being particularly worried about it or even especially interested
most of the time.

Lance Cousins