[Buddha-l] wiki wiki

David Webster david.r.webster at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Nov 2 10:50:08 MDT 2007

Hi,

Buddha-L members may be interested in a teaching thing I am trying here.
Over the years students have struggled, in the study of Indian Religions,
with the introduction of many terms new to them during the course - from
familiar ones like karma to very long and hard-to-recall terms.

I used to give them a glossary - or photocopy one from a book.

Then I decided not to do their work for them - and gave them a blank
glossary: with key terms and blank sections for their definitions.

Following positive student  responses to a blog for our overall course
(http://r-p-e.blogspot.com <http://r-p-e.blogspot.com/>  ) I have decided to
try a wiki to see is students can work together to make a glossary for our
Indian Religions course.

It is at http://rpe208.wikispaces.com/ and I thought it might interest
Buddha-L readers. We are mainly doing Hinduism at present, moving to
Buddhism after the Christmas break - but comments on the idea are welcome:
have others tried a similar approach.

If you can't help yourself-  feel free to register, and join in the
discussions / editing on the wiki itself: I imagine they would appreciate
some guidance.

Cheers,

Dave

Ps - I also thought that if they saw how a wiki worked, they might be less
likely to treat wikipedia as the basis of all their essays..  Well, I can
dream.

Dr David Webster
Course Leader: Religion, Philosophy & Ethics
University of Gloucestershire

01242 71 4778
e-mail: dwebster at glos.ac.uk

University Site: http://www.glos.ac.uk <http://www.glos.ac.uk/>