[Buddha-l] Practicing ahimsa

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Nov 3 19:55:24 MDT 2007

On Saturday 03 November 2007 19:13, Bill Kish wrote:

> There is a bill in the US Senate that is still "in committee",
> but that might make it out onto the Senate floor with enough
> support, viz. the Cluster Munitions Civilian Protection Act
> (S. 594) sponsored by Feinstein and Leahy.  Despite my best
> efforts to play devil's advocate, I can't see how supporting
> this bill in its present form in any way violates the principle
> of ahimsa.

If anyone wishes to sign a petition, one is available at
http://www.stopclustermunitions.org . There is also good information on the
bill on this type of munitions at the website of the Friends Committee for
National Legislation (http://www.fcnl.org/index.htm ). Given than some of our
friends here are in favour of fighting against terrorism, I am confident that
they will wish to ban the terrorism embodied by making, selling and using
cluster munitions.

Thanks, Bill. This may be the first time in the past 16 years anyone has
brought an issue to buddha-l on which we can all agree.

--
Richard Hayes