[Buddha-l] NYTimes.com: Let Us Pray for Wealth

Joy Vriens jvriens at free.fr
Sun Nov 4 11:38:10 MST 2007

Franz,

>I just want to say thank you for this. It gave me one of those rare
>"aha!" moments when my eyes are opened to a truth so clear it was
>hiding in plain sight. Paying my taxes is indeed a beautiful, and
>highly Buddhist, act. Or it would be if I were living in the Vajji
>confederacy. But the mere presence of this new understanding in my head
>somehow changes me and my relationship to my government.

>Bowing,

>Franz
>(who's about to send off a check for $1800 in property taxes to the
>County of Los Angeles)

Thank you for thanking me and the only answer to your bow is a bow to you.

Another advantage <warning: we are clearly leaving the absence of the three circles behind us> is that by stoically welcoming and even desiring the taxes, we can elect our politicians for more authentic reasons than economic self interest. I don't know whether that possibility exists, but as good Buddhist citizens we could make donations to our national and local governements by paying more taxes than we owe them. I would love to see them react to that spontaneous act of generosity. Instead of civil disobedience, civil overobedience :-)

Joy