[Buddha-l] Liberal versus Strict?

Margaret Gouin Margaret.Gouin at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Nov 5 23:49:12 MST 2007

On Tue, November 6, 2007 1:46 am, SJZiobro at cs.com wrote:
> This isn't uncommon, and it seems to
> me to provide examples contrary to your claims.

Not claims, Stan, merely speculation (as stated at the beginning of my
post). And I should have made clearer that I meant the attraction of
'strict' as opposed to 'liberal' religion to certain personality types. I
think your example more supports my speculation than otherwise... the
taxidriver practised a 'liberal' approach to his religion, while the
Americans in the taxi practised a 'strict' approach. It was the same
religion, I believe--Roman Catholicism--but like every other religion, it
can be approached in different ways. I know a convert to Roman Catholicism
who is extremely strict in his observance; I know a convert to Tibetan
Buddhism who focuses intently on having everything 'authentically
Tibetan'. Then I know liberal Roman Catholic converts, and Western
converts to Tibetan Buddhism who are really pretty relaxed about it all.

In the original post, as I recall, what triggered my speculation was a
reference to the rising interest in stricter forms of Islam. My point
remains that an increasing sense of insecurity in this wonderful modern
world of ours will lead some people to seek greater certainty (and perhaps
a sense of personal security) through a more formalised and structured
religious practice. Other people, of course, can live without it.

Thank you for your story!

--
Margaret Gouin
PhD Candidate