[Buddha-l] NYTimes.com: Let Us Pray for Wealth

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Tue Nov 6 00:01:07 MST 2007

I can't understand some of this.

1. Hindus and Buddhist are not fighting in Sri Lanka. The Tamil
Tigers - a Marxist organization founded and led by members of the
Christian community - are fighting to establish a separate
linguistically-based Tamil state. I do not believe that most
Buddhists or Hindus have any interest at all in extirpating each
others' religion. Some Marxist members of the Tigers might be an
exception, but if so, they would probably want to extirpate all
religions (except Marxism).

2. I fail to understand how Communists fighting to control their
colony in Tibet has anything to do with whether Buddhists
historically try to extirpate other religions.

3. Again it is difficult to see how persecutions by the Communist
government in China have anything to do with the point.

4. I don't understand the reference to Korea.

5. The only valid point here is the reference to the Tokugawa
shogunate, assuming one accepts that the Shogunate was Buddhist. But
we should note that this was a response to a rather vicious campaign
of murder and destruction carried out by 'Christian' military forces
across Asia. Unfortunately, we have to acknowledge that violence is
infectious and Christian/Muslim violence has sometimes infected other
religions on their frontier.

It is regrettable that many generally well-meaning Christians and
Muslims are unwilling to acknowledge the degree of violence in their
history.

Lance Cousins