Non-Abe Religions, was Re: [Buddha-l] NYTimes.com: Let Us Pray for Wealth

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Nov 6 16:04:33 MST 2007

Gregory Bungo wrote:

> There are still some Zoroastrians in Iran:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrian#In_Greater_Iran
>
> Not many though.  Wikipedia estimates there are about 22,000:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrians_in_Iran#Revolution

The Zoroastrians managed to withstand the first wave of violent
monotheism (Christianity) but nearly succumbed to the second wave
(Islam) - and only survived because they found refuge among the Hindus.

I was recently discussing with some friends who the world's most famous
Zoroastrians were. This is what we came up with for the top four, in
descending order of fame:

Jesus*
Freddie Mercury (born Farrokh Bulsara)
Zubin Mehta
Zoroaster**

* Of course not everyone agrees that Jesus was a Zoroastrian - but if he
was he is certainly the most famous one.
** Of course not everyone agrees that any such person as Zoroaster ever
existed - and even if he did that he was a Zoroastrian. But it seems
only fair to include him.

Curt Steinmetz