[Buddha-l] NYTimes.com: Let Us Pray for Wealth

SJZiobro at cs.com SJZiobro at cs.com
Tue Nov 6 22:10:16 MST 2007

"Dan Lusthaus" <vasubandhu at earthlink.net> wrote:

>Stan,
>
>I have to agree 1000% with Lance's observations. As for
>

>> I think your reading of the situation differs from mine.  At least in
>Japan the Christian armies were defending themselves.  I know of no vicious
>Christian military campaigns in China or Korea.
>>

>This sounds like you are getting your information from missionary propoganda
>pamphlets rather than legitimate history sources.

Dan,

I don't think much of what I've read has to do with missionary propoganda pamphlets.  Francis Xavier landed in Japan in 1549 and, from that time on till the advent of Dominicans and Franciscans in the early 1590s, the only Catholic missionary activity was done by the Jesuits.  If what you write below is meant to imply that their real work for 40 years was to supply Japanese converts with guns, you are very much mistaken.  Hideyoshi issued the first decree banishing the propagation of the Christian faith in 1587.  Even then, for close to ten years, the Christian mission went on cautiously.  I believe your initial gun supplying incident was centered around the running aground near Tosa of the Spanish ship "San Filipe."  The captain of the ship was the one who, with typical Spanish pride and arrogance, mentioned that the missionaries preceeded the armies of Spain.  If you read the Jesuit relations, however, you'll note how they sought to avoid contact with the Patronado Real, and generally succeeded throughout Asia, precisely because they wanted nothing to do with the Spanish (or Portugese) Crown's desire for conquest.  Simply put, their alligence was firt to Rome, not Lisbon or Madrid.  The damage was done, however, and the Christian mission suffered.  Even so, it wasn't until 1614, when Hideyori (?), Hideyoshi's successor, issued his edict, that the mission(s) suffered amore definitive setback.  It is noteworthy, I think, that even with this state of affairs there remained many Christians at the Court of Hideyori, and several commanded his troops during the bombardment of Osaka in 1615 or thereabouts.

Your contention that Christian missionaries always (implied) preceded the Spanish or Portugese armies is simply not the case.  What you'll find is that missionaries (these would be Franciscans or Dominicans) accompanied the agents of the Crown.  So the advent of Spanish or Portugese conquest and missionizing activity were normally simultaneous.  However, and I've noted this above, this model does not hold for the Jesuit missions in India, China, and Japan; it was the advent of the Franciscans and the Dominicans that heralded the sort of strife and turmoil you in part note.  I notice below that you want to corroborate the principle of mission preceding military by citing the situation in China during the 19th century.  I think you are right enough with regard to that time, but in the time of which we are treating at the moment, your anachronism does not meet the point.  China carefully regulated the visits of Catholic missionaries within her borders.  The only ones who truly succeeded in establishing missions within the Middle Kingdom at this time were, again, the Jesuits, and they made relatively few converts.  Their presence clearly did not herald the advent of conquoring Spanish or Portugese armies.  In fact, give the historical record relative to the activities of the Jesuits throughout Asia in the 16th century, and given the limited success of the Spanish or the Portugese (mainly the Portugese since the Spanish, via the Treaty of Tordesillas, concentrated their efforts in the Americas, much of your thesis fails in light of thereof.  It is, however, a good read, as is much of what you write.

Stan