[Buddha-l] NYTimes.com: Let Us Pray for Wealth

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Nov 7 09:27:07 MST 2007

On Tuesday 06 November 2007 23:27, L.S. Cousins wrote:

> The problem for me here is that the kind of claim you are making
> seems to fly in the face of commonsense.

Yes, I hope so. I have very little confidence in common sense. That's perhaps
what attracts me to the teachings of the Buddha. The sense those teachings
make is not at all common, and most of them directly oppose common sense.
When I apply those teachings to a large number of claims about history that
are commonly believed, I notice the claims turn out to be quite shallow,
sometimes even vacuous, and not infrequently potentially dangerous. I believe
the nearly all the claims recently made about the so-called track records of
theistic religions fall into those categories. They are certainly shallow,
perhaps meaningless, and probably unnecessarily offensive and biased.

The Buddha advised his followers to say not only what is true but also
helpful. I do not think there is any truth to these "commonsense" claims
about the allegedly poor track record of theistic religions, but even if
there were some element of truth to them, how and to whom is it helpful to
state those putative truths?

> By trying to deny manifest
> facts, you strengthen and reinforce prejudice.

The very issue in dispute is whether some of the claims being made here ARE
manifest facts. I claim they are not and that presenting them as if they were
is a manifestation of prejudice.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy