[Buddha-l] NYTimes.com: Let Us Pray for Wealth

Joy Vriens jvriens at free.fr
Wed Nov 7 22:20:01 MST 2007

Lance,

>I would think that the idea of two truths originates from abhidharma
>of some kind.

>>(I see the the idea of double truth as related to that of purusha/prakrit).

>How is that ?

What do you mean how is that, I thought it was obvious. :-)

It would be too long or too embarassingly short to give you my theory about life, the universe and everything, so I will try to keep it short.

Purusha/prakrit ~ Brahma/maya ~ Siva/sakti ~ Niscaya-naya/vyavahara-naya (real and empirical point of view) ~ paramartha-satya/samvrti-satya are all variations on the same theme: absolute/relative.
How is it done? Basically by withdrawal of the five senses and manas (the empirical) through various techniques. We can quibble whether it actually is a withdrawal of the 6 senses, or whether it is experienced or described as such, but that is what it boils down to. When that is done, whatever "is left" is very near to something seen as absolute. One can bring in the ideas of a God, of Herman the Cosmic Hedgehog with or without sakti, of a self or of a not-self, but it won't help.

Of course, if one looks at the various theories, descriptions, symbols, and practices of this there will be differences. If you look at two ants through a magnifying glass, they will look different, but from a distance everybody will agree that both are ants.

Joy