[Buddha-l] Religious Persecution [was: NYTimes.com: Let Us Pray forWealth]

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 8 16:41:28 MST 2007

Gang,

Dan asked,

> Are we living in such a hypersensitive PC world that I need to explain
> what
> I wrote?

Well, I guess. But really I think it might be equally about my
denseness as the age's hypersensitivity.

I won't comment on your detailed explanation of the political aspects
of anti-Christian (=Catholic) persecution/policy in Japan. Well, I'll
say I'm confident that on the political level it was a wise policy for
the victors to pursue and I'm glad for the end result (despite the Tom
Cruise movie) of the preservation of Buddhism as the dominant religion
in Japan. That preservation allowed the migration of Japanese Buddhism,
Buddhisms really, to the United States, which has in turn immensely
enriched our culture and my life. Yours too! And without that
preservation we wouldn't have the continuing living presence of Shinto,
either. And without that there'd be no "My Neighbor Totoro" and my
daughter would be deprived of great joy.

Still, I'm must not comfortable with this sort of politics. Call me
weak, call me cosseted, call me an only-in-safe-America idiot, but I
can't get away from some kind of gut level disgust with anti-religious
policies. Don't get me wrong, I *can* get behind anti-violence policies
and I can get behind policies focused on depriving violent religious
zealots of their power to act. I just can't support preventing them
from other forms of their religious practice, which as I understand it,
did happen to the Japanese Christians. (Note that I'm *not* speaking of
foreign Christians in Japan, just native Japanese who had converted or
been born into Christian families. Like the Muranos, I recall they hung
around for centuries.)

Franz