[Buddha-l] Buddhism & War

Ngawang Dorje rahula_80 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 10 03:22:50 MST 2007

Hi,

  It is said that there is no war in Buddhism.

  Chapter 25, Mahavamsa, we find:

Arrived at Mahiyangana he overpowered the Damila Chatta. When he had slain the Damilas in that very place he came then to Ambatitthaka, which had a trench leading from the river, and (conquered) the Damila Titthamba; fighting the crafty and powerful foe for four months he (finally) overcame him by cunning,' since he placed his mother in his view. When the mighty man marching thence down (the river) had conquered seven mighty Damila princes in one day and had established peace, he gave over the booty to his troops. Therefore is (the place)called Khemäräma.
http://www.vipassana.com/resources/mahavamsa/mhv25.php

  Apparently it is legitimate to use someone's mother as a hostage in Buddhism. No?

  Dutthagamani is reported also to have said:
"Not for the joy of sovereignty is this toil of mine, my striving (has been) ever to establish the doctrine of the Sambuddha."
http://www.vipassana.com/resources/mahavamsa/mhv25.php

  I am interested in how would Buddhists explain theses passages to non-Buddhist/skeptics?

  Thanks,
  Rahula