[Buddha-l] Western Buddhism

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 20:19:19 MST 2007

Some of the best known western scholars of Buddhism (and other non-religious
fields)
have wildly Christian parents, which could have suffocated them (the
children) away
from their faith.

My children know very well I am Buddhist and a full time lay teachers who
enjoys
translatings the Nikayas, and often help me to retrieve Pali volumes from
the home
Tipitaka library.

But I make it a rule never to initiate a Buddhist discussion with them.
Interestingly,
they are the ones who often question me about what I am doing, who is
Buddha, etc,
which I welcome. Occasionally, I see my younger son walking around wearing
his
favourite quilt cover around himself like a monk! I never told him about how
a monk
dresses.

We all know children (we were them and still are mostly), that they do
notice things
and can be like sponges of learning.

I had small "fight" with a pair of Mormons (well-dressed young guys with
name tags)
in a crowded bus recently. One of them started off chatting with me as if we
were old
friends, asking my name, etc,  I told him I was not interested in talking.
"You must be
 Buddhist!" he retorted. "I'm still not interested in chatting." "Wow, you
must be deeply
hurt," he continued.

That's it, I thought, and took my stand: I told the Indian commuters around
me (it was
Deepavali): "They are Christian evangelists, and want to convert you!"
Then he retorted, "Why can't I talk to them: they are my friends."
Turning to the Indian nearest him, I asked: "Are you his friend?" A gentle
smile broke on
the man's face and a gentle shake of his head.

Finally that section of the bus was peaceful, with the people chatting
amongst themselves
unchristianly.

No, I did not feel good, but it was much better not harbouring anger in the
heart. I love
honest religious dialogue.

Oh yes, there are those amongst us here who would feel deeply honoured to be
spoken
to unannounced by a white evangelist, and maybe become good Christians after
that.

Why don't they listen to Christ who admonished them never to come to Asia.

Piya Tan

On Nov 15, 2007 10:52 AM, Richard Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 November 2007 11:53, Dan Lusthaus wrote:
>
> > Another question: How many who identify themselves, in whole or in part,
> as
> > Buddhists, have raised their children "Buddhist," and of those children,
> > how many are enthusiastic practitioners of Buddhism today?
>
> Interesting question. When my children were young, I took every precaution
> conceal from them that I was a Buddhist. It's difficult for me to recall
> exactly why I thought that was a such good idea, but I think I thought of
> Buddhism as an oddball thing for a Western person to be associated with,
> and
> I wanted my kids to be weird in their own chosen way, not in a way chosen
> for
> them by their parents.
>
> My guess is that the attitude I just described was pretty common among
> Buddhists of my age (which keeps changing but is currently 62 and rising).
>
> --
> Richard Hayes
> Department of Philosophy
> University of New Mexico