[Buddha-l] Re: Western Buddhism

Bill Kish wdkish81 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 16 06:00:44 MST 2007

Dan Lusthaus:
>Any success stories with non-"native" Buddhist parents?

One that comes to mind is Ethan Nichtern, who is not only a
Buddhist, but a Buddhist teacher in the same tradition that
his father David Nichtern is.  Here is a link for his bio:
http://www.theidproject.com/ethan_bio.htm.
I would imagine he would be a good person to speak with
regarding the issue of being a 2nd generation Buddhist in
the USA and how others in his generation have or have not
embraced the Buddhism of their parents.  He may even touch
on the subject in his recently published book
"One City: A Declaration of Interdependence", but I can't
say for sure.

Also, Robert Thurman has other children besides Uma.  His
son Dechen, e.g., credits his involvement in yoga as being
instrumental in helping him to eventually become involved
in Tibetan Buddhism.  See the teacher bio for Dechen
Thurman at http://www.jivamuktiyoga.com/fms/index.html

---------
Bill Kish