[Buddha-l] Western Buddhism and devotion

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at roadrunner.com
Fri Nov 16 17:20:26 MST 2007

Hi Michel --
I can hardly recognize my original remarks in your reaction, but let me
clarify.

Michel Clasquin-Johnson wrote:
> AT LEAST four, yes, but you are taking the traditional classification
> scheme of Advaita Hinduism (by no means the only form of Hinduism there
> is) as canonical. Contemporary scholars have put a little further
> thought into the matter.

I did not claim the four I listed as exhaustive ("at least four"), and I
am well aware of the other "ways of being religious" that you mention,
but didn't use them in my brief remarks discussing my own Western
American attitude toward Buddhism. I most certainly do not take Advaita
as "canonical," just a nice and convenient starting place.

> Now it is easy for us eggheads on Buddha-L to claim that, for instance,
> we have no truck with "Creation of Community through Sacred Symbols". Oh
> yeah? How do you feel about someone urinating on the flag of your
> country? You might not be driven to homicidal rage by it, but as soon as
> you feel, "Well, that is really not done", you are participating in
> "Creation of Community through Sacred Symbols". In fact, even if you
> applaud such an action, you are participating in it: You simply respond
> to a different set of symbols that work for a different community.

If I approve, or disapprove, I participate. In fact, that means that
unless I am neutral, I participate in lots of things -- and the
resulting category is simply so broad as to be virtually meaningless.
Most of the examples you provide are sociological, but hardly exclusive
to any religion, hardly essential to religion.

> There is simply no way that any human being can claim to be 100%
> rational all the time. Well, Lt Commander Data, maybe, but he's an
> android and doesn't count.

Of course not, but since I did not even imply such a remark, it doesn't
apply (it is a "straw man"). I've been playing acoustic blues guitar for
40 years, and never once thought it was rational. It is very emotional
and satisfying.

As I did observe, I find no trace of devotion in my makeup (so I don't
teach that to my children), I find little interest in ritual in my
makeup (so I don't teach that to my children), I find some interest in
meditation, and when it comes to my take on Buddhist RELIGION, the only
way that I can approach it is via the intellect and rationality. There
are dozens of ways of being religious, mine is "grand tradition,"
although I most certainly teach all the various ways of being religious
to my students.

> [obligatory Buddhist content] Contrary to popular opinion, ritual and
> devotion in Buddhism was hardly a Mahayana invention. The Kitagirisutta
> (MN 70) to name just one, speaks of people being freed by faith. [end of
> obligatory Buddhist content]

Much of early Buddhism is devotional. Those aspects have little appeal
for me, personally, although I do teach it.