[Buddha-l] Loving your object of study

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Tue Nov 20 07:21:05 MST 2007

In a message dated 11/20/2007 3:57:15 A.M. Central Standard Time,
jvriens at free.fr writes:

Latter  commentarial tradition identified the second
>method in language  that sounds a lot like the language used in
>Brahmanical  tradition to describe j~naana-yoga. The third method,
>liberation  through service, is described in ways that make it sound
>very  much like a counterpart to bhakti-yoga or karma-yoga, or perhaps a
>combination of the two.

Also see the KiiTaagiri  Sutta,
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.070.than.html
Gombrich  dedicates a chapter to this subject in How Buddhism  Began.

Joy,

How do you see this sutta supporting an only intellectual approach to the
dhamma? My understanding is that it says the opposite: " Having heard the
Dhamma, one remembers it. Remembering, one penetrates the meaning of the
teachings. Penetrating the meaning, one comes to an agreement through pondering  the
teachings. There being an agreement through pondering the teachings, desire
arises. When desire has arisen, one is willing. When one is willing, one
contemplates. Having contemplated, one makes an exertion. Having made an  exertion,
one realizes with the body the ultimate truth and, having penetrated  it with
discernment, sees it?"

jack