[Buddha-l] (the recycling of) Western Buddhists

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Nov 20 08:08:37 MST 2007

Apart from that, my kids have to go to bed when it's time and have to do
their homework. My or their self definition doesn't come into that.

Joy
============

From: Kirkpatrick [jkirk at spro.net]

Right on, Joy.
We seem to be viewing the familial transmission of the Buddhist way merely
as a matter of self-definition, but it ain't always so. My parents were
staunch Protestant Episcopalians and we kids followed along in that path. It
was only years, and much thought and living life, later that one of my
sisters decided atheism was the way to go, the other sister new age
goddess-ism, and me Buddhism. My parents by that time weren't all that
churchy either. Dad (whose father was a Methodist preacher) was a Mason (and
they have all kinds of imported beliefs) so he wasn't disturbed when I told
him I was persuaded by Buddhism.  There must be a vast variety of
experiences preceding the adoption of Buddhist practices by "western"
parents and by their kids, or not.
Joanna K.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
12:35 PM