[Buddha-l] Loving your object of study

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Tue Nov 20 16:19:47 MST 2007

In a message dated 11/20/2007 12:57:27 P.M. Central Standard Time,
jkirk at spro.net writes:

I see it as describing the 3 stages  of the 'progress of the   disciple'.1.
Understanding the doctrine (pariyatti). 2. Practicing   it
(patipatti) and 3. Penetrating it (pativedha) and realising it.   Scholarship
only deals with 1 and not necessarily 2 and 3.

To make  it clear, I am not denigrating scholarship nor  scholars.

Jack

Well,  as I see it Jack's version is excessively literal-minded.
Scholarship, as  proven by the vast library of Buddhological publications,
researches,  observes, analyses and interprets all three, not just pariyatti
====
Is researching, observing, analyzing and interpreting 2 and 3 the same as
actually practicing, penetrating and realizing them? To me that is the same as
applying scholarship to swimming is the same as learning how to swim. I must
be missing something.

jack