[Buddha-l] Re: Loving your object of study

Katherine Masis twin_oceans at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 20 20:15:27 MST 2007

Jack wrote:

intellectual approach." They feel an  understanding gained through studying
the Abhidhamma is sufficient.

Richard wrote:

  They belong to a very old tradition, one that goes back to the time of the Buddha. It would be a mistake to say that the intellectual approach works for everyone, and just as much a mistake to say that it works for no one.  The same can be said for other approaches.

  I joined that list about four months ago and as far as I can tell, the list doesn't follow an exclusively intellectual approach.  The people who post offer a lot of detailed recommendations for practicing mindfulness "across the board" in daily life, as well as commentaries on texts and how to apply them in our "inner" and "outer" lives.  Of course, the list also offers a wealth of links to texts and other resources.

  From the list's homepage:

  "A discussion forum for anyone interested in understanding the Buddha's teachings as found in all three baskets of the Tipitaka, the original record of the Buddha's word in the Theravada tradition, and as further elucidated in the ancient commentaries of that tradition.

The discussions include matters of both theory and practice, with the aim of developing precise understanding of dhammas (the ‘realities’ of the present moment).

The group started in Bangkok in the early 1970's under the guidance of the Thai Theravadin teacher Khun Sujin Boriharnwanaket."

  Katherine Masis