[Buddha-l] (the recycling of) Western Buddhists

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Nov 21 09:32:15 MST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: buddha-l-bounces at mailman.swcp.com
[mailto:buddha-l-bounces at mailman.swcp.com] On Behalf Of Joy Vriens

....Forgive me for not knowing all the denominations of Protestantism and
what they stand for, but initially it seems to have been more along the
lines of non-transmission. Luther fascinates me (although I was raised a
catholic myself), but I have not much time for Lutheranism and other
protestant transmissions. Like many mystics, the only thing Luther in his
better moments seemed to have wanted to "transmit" is to have a direct
relation with God. He says himself he doesn't want to bind anybody to his
words or thoughts, but simply wants to be an exemple for others to follow or
not, to amend or not. That sort of freedom of thought and speech and
non-intererence with another's relationship to God seems to have been
transmitted at least in your family.

Joy