[Buddha-l] (no subject)

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Thu Nov 22 09:33:23 MST 2007

Just thought people might be interested to know about this. It's not a new
situation, so I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to find out even that
there are Buddhists in Bangladesh... just slow, I guess.

http://www.achrweb.org/Review/2007/182-07.htm

--
Margaret Gouin
PhD Candidate
From: Kirkpatrick [jkirk at spro.net]
Oppression of the hill peoples of Bangladesh has been going on even since
before Bangladesh independence from Pakistan, in 1971. It just gets worse
with every passing year, and the hill people areas have never been able to
escape control by the Bangladesh army.  The Buddhists among the hill peoples
are not the same ethnically as the Bengali Buddhists, or baruas,  mostly in
eastern Bangladesh.   For more on Buddhism in the area of Bangladesh, see
Banglapedia for a start: http://tinyurl.com/2z8yog

Best, Joanna K.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10:01 AM