[Buddha-l] Loving your object of study

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Nov 22 12:10:33 MST 2007

Jackhat1 at aol.com wrote:

> (a) intellectual inquiry which aims for and  impacts one's own liberation;
> (b) intellectual inquiry which doesn't aim  for or impact one's own
> liberation;
>
> It is possible to engage in (b)  passionately as a scholar (or speculative
> philosopher) and not practice the  dharma.  It is possible to engage in (a) as a
> seeker and not practice  scholarship.

I think it's good to have positive examples/role-models. I would suggest
the Korean scholar/sage Chinul as one in this regard. According to the
traditional version of his bio (which is of course highly
hagiographical) he had three "Great Awakenings" during his life - all of
which occurred while deeply absorbed in Sutra study.

Robert Buswell's excellent book "Tracing Back the Radiance" has a lot of
biographical info on Chinul.

Curt