[Buddha-l] Loving your object of study

Stuart Lachs slachs at worldnet.att.net
Thu Nov 22 23:51:43 MST 2007

I was not clear in my earlier post, "The Collected Works of Chinul" is my
favorite Buddhist book. Fortunately for me,
like Richard I bought the book many years ago. It has gotten a workout.  I
had to tape the
binding to keep it together, even though it is hard bound.

Richard Hayes wrote:

"What an
> impoverishment of the world it will be when all these wonderfully
> eccentric book dealers have all gone out of business. "

The same here in NYC. Fourth Avenue in the teens was loaded with eccentric
used book stores in days gone by. Weiser's basement carried used "spiritual"
books, upstairs was everything else. Desending the stairs with the poster of
a young Meher Baba with his long black beard and his saying, "I was Rama, I
was Krishna, now I am Meher Baba" looking down at you was like entering a
magical kingdom. Even Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn had a number of the
eccentric used bookstores Richard mentioned. I remember now being so excited
when buying Oswald Spengler's "Decline of the West" back in the 1960's.
Those used book stores are pretty much all gone today.