[Buddha-l] Tozan's blue mountain and white cloud

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 20:23:50 MDT 2008

Thanks, Dan,

for a list of great readings on Zen.

Also thanks Franz for your helpful remarks. And yes I do occasionally check out
the Zensite.

And, I do have an old copy of Miura & Sasaki "The Zen Koan," and the
new reprint with its glossy cover has an enticing way of deluding me
into thinking it is a new venture. How often I've ordered retitled
books from India thinking they are new works! Ah, old wine in new
bottles; the problem is that I don't drink.

Anyway, time for me to step out of the early Buddhist time warp for a
moment and re-read "The Zen Koan." And also Faure's "Chan Insights and
Oversights".

I do enjoy a diverse read occasionally, too. In fact, I had just
finished reading David N Hempton's delightful "Enchantment and
Disenchantment in the Evangelical tradition" (Harvard Divinity
Bulletin, 36,1 WInter 2008) on George Eliot and the English Methodists
et al. I'm trying to understand more of the evangelical psyche, as
they are still very powerful and intolerant in affluent Singapore.

Anyway, I have digressed. More on Chan. How right would I be in saying that the
koan specifically, and Chan in general, work best in a Sinic ambience:
Chan is best
taken Chinese (or East Asian). The main reason is that the Chinese
language, being pictorial or iconic, tend to reify abstract concepts,
or conversely, it is difficult to think abstractly in Chinese (as say
one of the ancient Indian languages, such as Sanskrit or a Prakrit).

Are there any articles, monographs or books specifically addressing this issue?
Sort of a psychodynamics of Chinese language and its expression of Buddhism.
Perhaps I need to browse and explore through those titles you, Dan and
Franz, have listed.

Gassho (the silence of two palms).

Piya Tan