[Buddha-l] Mereological nihilism

Weng-Fai Wong wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg
Sun Apr 20 20:05:36 MDT 2008

Forget OED and Encyclopedia Britannica... Wikipedia to the rescue again...

"Mereological nihilism (also called compositional nihilism, or what some
philosophers just call nihilism) is the position that objects with proper
parts do not exist (not only objects in space, but also objects existing in
time do not have any temporal parts), and only basic building blocks without
parts exist (e.g., electrons, quarks), and thus the world we see and
experience full of objects with parts is a product of human misperception
(if we could see clearly, we'd not see compositive objects)."

So is Buddhism nihilistic?

Weng-Fai