[Buddha-l] Mereological nihilism

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sun Apr 20 22:27:44 MDT 2008

Instead of Wikipedia, suggest you take a look at _The Two Truths
Debate : Tsongkhapa and Gorampa on the Middle Way_, by Sonam
Thakchoe. Wisdom Pubs, 2007.
The term nihilism is probably over as a useful concept with
respect to Buddhism. It tends to be used pejoratively. It's a
label.

Best,
Joanna

Forget OED and Encyclopedia Britannica... Wikipedia to the rescue
again...

"Mereological nihilism (also called compositional nihilism, or
what some philosophers just call nihilism) is the position that
objects with proper parts do not exist (not only objects in
space, but also objects existing in time do not have any temporal
parts), and only basic building blocks without parts exist (e.g.,
electrons, quarks), and thus the world we see and experience full
of objects with parts is a product of human misperception (if we
could see clearly, we'd not see compositive objects)."

So is Buddhism nihilistic?

Weng-Fai

Checked by AVG.
4/19/2008 11:31 AM