[Buddha-l] guided meditation

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Apr 28 09:41:38 MDT 2008

Does anyone have any ideas about the history of the concept and practice
of "guided meditation"? One of the most popular and successful Buddhist
teachers in the DC area is Tara Brach, who often has 100-200 people at
her weekly Vipassana meditation class. Guided meditation is a major
focus of what she does, especially with this large weekly group. I only
mention her as an example of what I am talking about.

I am especially interested in three things:

(1) Any precedent for this kind of practice in "traditional" Asian
Buddhism.

(2) The development of this practice as it is used in the West by
Buddhists (like Tara Brach) today.

(3) The specific role, if any, of psychotherapeutic ideas and practices
in the use of guided meditation by Westerners. Especially I am
interested in to what extent Jung's concept of "active imagination" may
have played an important role.

Curt Steinmetz