[Buddha-l] greed, hatred, & delusion

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Aug 27 19:59:24 MDT 2008

I've been sort of depressed for months at the state of the
country I'm a citizen of and also the deplorable state of the
world.  A couple glasses of red in the evening helps, but what
helps the most is either going for a 2 mile walk every other
early morning, or doing garden work every morning or evening
after it cools down. There's always a lot of that. If it isn't
there, I make it there.

Non- attachment ?--I wonder if that's possible only for
monastics.

In any case, the earth cycles have begun their downward slant
toward autumn --nights are so much cooler than they were, but
still it warms up a lot in daytime. So far the tomatoes are still
both producing and ripening.  Decided to get rid of the old
infested lawn in front and get a new one, consisting of special
low-water use turf. The lawn lady assured me that weeds wouldn't
grow in this new lawn.  Why don't I just get rid of the lawn? I'd
like to, but compassion for my neighbors, whose lawns look much
healthier than mine, prevents me. My street is distinctly not a
xeriscaping street. Also, compassion for the soil requires me to
cover it with something that will prevent my having to go round
weekly to dig up weeds and poke up grass while in the process
killing shiny black beetles that don't do any harm. New lawn
means less grass-work for me and more ops to deal with flowers
and veggies. The middle-way of summer living.  Like having to cut
back a special tiny white flowered but prodigiously growing aster
because it's next to the bird feeder, and today the squirrel
figured out how to get on the feeder by getting on the shrub.  He
must've eaten a pound of black oilseed. The aster has to be moved
when it gets cooler, near end of this coming month, moved to a
location he can't make use of. This year we had lots of western
goldfinches in our trees and on the grass--so pretty. So many
cats in the neighborhood that usually the only birds I see are
house finches. Sorry for all the animal and plant talk--let's
think of St Francis, a Catholic Buddhist--who loved nature.

Thanks for the sympathetic suggestions--maybe before I kick I'll
arrive at more non-attachment.

Joanna