[Buddha-l] Purpose of life

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Aug 28 13:00:41 MDT 2008

For me asking about life's "purpose" is essentially the same as asking
"how should I live my life?". In fact I would suggest that the latter
question is better phrased and more likely to give constructive answers.

Many people will pointlessly object to questions about the "purpose" of
life - focusing on the choice of words rather than on the obvious
intention behind the inquiry. But most of those people will not insist
that one should live one's life at random - that it makes no difference
whatsoever *how* one lives.

So how should one live? At the risk of stating the obvious I would
venture: (1) try to be of help to others around you and (2) also try to
have a good time. As corollary I would say that it is important to
examine one's life and how one lives it to ensure that you are actually
accomplishing, at least to some extent, both of those "purposes".

Curt Steinmetz