[Buddha-l] Buddhism in Israel

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 11 08:55:24 MST 2008

Itamar,

I didn't deny that *some* Israelis can be annoying tourists. That's well
known, and it embarrasses many other Israelis. To cast an entire nationality
by a negative stereotype that perhaps applies to some is simply bigotry.

What I was commenting on is precisely what you bring up in your initial
comment:

> Israel is a perception that brings up a lot of papanca..

When I comment on the simple fact that Buddhism is gaining popularity in
Israel, instead of expressing some joy or being pleased or even curious,
immediately messages appear that backhandly reject that, drudging up
irrelevant negative stereotypes instead.

That such prapanca has become the atmosphere in which we live -- so that non
sequitors like:

A: Buddhism is gaining popularity in Israel.

B. Yes, they are "occupiers."

pass as intelligent comments and go unnoticed as prapanca is a problem that
serious Buddhist practice should work on.

Thanks for the link to Bhavana House.

Dan