[Buddha-l] Prapanca

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Feb 12 21:32:23 MST 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 09:46 +0800, Piya Tan wrote:

> That is why no one is really happy on this
> website, but
> they keep coming back because they could not find it anywhere else anyway.

As I understand it, prapanca is, among other things, narratives we
impose on our experiences to try to make sense of them. These narratives
are rarely well founded and contain speculations that conform more to
our prejudices than to fact. A good example of such a speculation is the
claim that no one is really happy on this website. It's a wild guess,
unsupported by any kind of evidence, made in conformity with a dogmatic
adherence to doctrinal Buddhism.

I am really happy to say I have seen very little prapanca on buddha-l.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy