[Buddha-l] Prapanca

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Feb 13 11:30:33 MST 2008

On Tuesday 12 February 2008 23:37, Weng-Fai Wong wrote:

> All prapancas... and further reinforcing my refutation of your claim that
> the more understanding of the Buddha-Dharma you have, the less prapanca you
> have. In fact, if anything, the more detail of any knowledge one gets into,
> the higher the likelihood of prapanca arising.

Let me problematize this a bit. (I can't believe I just wrote that. I deplore
the word "problematize.") If we look at how the word "prapanca" is used, it
is pretty clear that one's own doctrinal commitments are never characterized
as prapanca. For a Buddhist, the doctrines of the Brahmanical schools are
prapanca, but the doctrines of the Buddha (or at least the doctrines as
understood by one's own particular school) are not. So if one became very
learned in all the doctrines of one's own school, that would not entail
generating prapanca. In fact, the more one knew one's own schools doctrines,
the les one would be prone to falling for prapanca. That it least is how the
term seems to be used.

The problem is that prapanca is always defined with reference to a particular
set of doctrinal commitments. This makes it impossible to speak of prapanca
as such, or prapanca as seen from nowhere (to borrow a phase).

> Now that doesn't mean that
> ignorance is the solution. I am just saying that knowledge alone (even to
> the level that you can advise PhD students) is not it either.

That is already to take a particular stance. Some might well hold that the
more one studies, and the better one understands what one has studied, the
more liberated one is from prapanca. If to be fully liberated from prapanca
is to be enlightened, then surely study and acquiring knowledge is an
excellent way to achieve enlightenment. So saying that knowledge alone is
insufficient might already be stating a prejudicial attitude about knowledge.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy