[Buddha-l] Making a living

Randall Jones rjones at cm.ksc.co.th
Wed Feb 13 02:27:01 MST 2008

At 01:40 PM 2/13/2008, W. F. Wong wrote:

>The Buddha did not "make a living" - esp. not by teaching. In particular, he
>did not have the motivation "I shall teach the Dhamma and will collect my
>just financial returns from those who listened."

Thank you for typing up MAJJHIMA NIKAAYA III
III. 1. 3 Kintisutta.m.
(103) What do you think of me.

It was lovely to read and think about.

I wonder if much the same could not be said about me and my teaching
(secondary school at the moment, formerly elementary school).  I
certainly do not teach for my shelter and bread and I doubt that
anybody thinks that is why I teach (I am sure my students don't and
that administration at my school doesn't), but at the end of the day,
I suppose teaching is what pays for my robes, morsels and dwellings
(or part of it, anyway).

Maybe I'm overdue to think about right livelihood again now that I'm
about to "retire."

Randall