[Buddha-l] Making a living

Wong Weng Fai wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg
Wed Feb 13 08:44:26 MST 2008

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Randall Jones wrote:

> Thank you for typing up MAJJHIMA NIKAAYA III

Nah... I cut-and-paste it from the web.

> I wonder if much the same could not be said about me and my teaching
> (secondary school at the moment, formerly elementary school).  I certainly do
> not teach for my shelter and bread and I doubt that anybody thinks that is
> why I teach (I am sure my students don't and that administration at my school
> doesn't), but at the end of the day, I suppose teaching is what pays for my
> robes, morsels and dwellings (or part of it, anyway).
>
> Maybe I'm overdue to think about right livelihood again now that I'm about to
> "retire."

I think right livelihood is fine. Heck, I would like to believe that I am
engaging in one myself. I am also fine with monks handling money or
occasionally doing fund raising for good causes. It is just that "going
forth" (esp. in the Buddha's case) - in my opinion - is not a case of
"hell, I need a job so it might as well be this one." One who practices
art so that they can earn enough money to get on with their real life is
not a true artist. Similarly, one who preaches wisdom and compassion so
that they can earn enough money to get on with their real life is also not
genuine.

W.F. Wong