[Buddha-l] Dzogchen Internship Program

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Fri Feb 22 06:27:58 MST 2008

Re: the notice Sean sent to the list...

I'm usually pretty uncomfortable when I see *any* charge except voluntary dana
being charged for the teachings - That said, $6000/- for six months intensive
teaching seems pretty reasonable and I suspect in the US it hardly covers the
cost of food and utilities used over the period. The syllabus or program also
looks pretty solid - and ambitious to cover in  a six months period.

Anyway compare and contrast this with the around $3,500/- US for *one week*
being charged for Buddhist "retreats" at a luxury hotel in Bhutan (air fare
*not* included):
<http://www.yangphel.com/bhutanretreat/default.asp> - and the program for these
"retreats" <http://www.yangphel.com/bhutanretreat/schedule.asp>.

This looks to me to be pretty much a clever way to fill this luxury hotel during
what is normally the off-season. Anyway the fact that well known lamas are
participating in what appears to be a pretty much a of a charade for rich
dilettantes really does makes me feel uncomfortable.

Admittedly the hotel concerned *is* very nice and the location couldn't be
better - but to call this kind of thing a Buddhist "retreat" seems a travesty.

I wonder what others feel about this?

- Chris