[Buddha-l] Dzogchen Internship Program

Margaret Gouin Margaret.Gouin at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Feb 22 08:30:00 MST 2008

On Fri, February 22, 2008 1:27 pm, Christopher Fynn wrote:
> Re: the notice Sean sent to the list...
> Anyway compare and contrast this with the around $3,500/- US for *one
> week* being charged for Buddhist "retreats" at a luxury hotel in Bhutan
(air
> fare *not* included): <snipped> ... the fact that well known lamas are
> participating in what appears to be a pretty much a of a charade for rich
> dilettantes really does makes me feel uncomfortable. ... <snipped>
> Admittedly the hotel concerned *is* very nice and the location couldn't be
> better - but to call this kind of thing a Buddhist "retreat" seems a
> travesty.
> I wonder what others feel about this?

Well, there's a certain charm about a time-slot listed as 'Personal
Reflection/Spa Time'... even better than 'Himalayan Rites'. That being
somewhat humourously said, one may ask why a retreat must *always* be
spartan? Maybe the lamas involved consider that the opportunity shouldn't
be missed to teach the Dharma to rich folks who wouldn't dream of going on
a challenging, cut-to-the-bone retreat? I could only see two lamas listed,
and I have no idea whether either of them has a reputation as an ascetic;
as far as I know Sogyal Rinpoche is based in the West so may be more aware
of Western ideas of acceptable comfort levels.

But perhaps your suspicion about filling the hotel is more on target...

--
Margaret Gouin
PhD Candidate