[Buddha-l] "Free and Easy" Vajra song

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Wed Feb 27 10:59:21 MST 2008

Dan et al.,

I wrote my previous post today before getting the latest batch of
posts in this thread. Your two recent posts go a long way to answering
my question. No need to respond to it now.

While not so peeved by the doha as Dan is, I also am wary of it.
There's nothing wrong with it in context, but it needs to be read in
tension with the other half of the dharma: bodhisattva activity. We
need to act in this world. We are not Jains here, right? As I see it,
we somehow need to act as if it mattered, and react as if it didn't.
Vague, I know, but there's a paradoxical middle way laid out for us by
the tradition and we need to find it for ourselves. In the doha Gendun
Rinpoche speaks generally, but we face the challenge in all the
particulars of our lives.

This conversation arose from talk on love. I loved my father. He died
in December and as his only son I'll be the last speaker at his
memorial in ten days. What shall I say? Shall I be all Gendun Rinpoche-
y and act as if all was fine? No, I'm not at that place. I'm closer to
the poem from the Eleh Ezkerah that Robert posted, last week: "To
remember this brings painful joy." My father was a psychiatrist and
began his career as a Freudian (he later moved into object relations
and attachment theory). Freud once said the meaning of life was
"lieben und arbeiten," to love and work. Can we, as Buddhists, do
those as well as Freud himself? As well as my dad, the atheist? If so,
it doesn't matter who we quote.

Franz