[Buddha-l] "Free and Easy" Vajra song

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Feb 27 11:01:01 MST 2008

I was dubious about Dan's choice of example as an analogy for the mental
state Rimpoche was on about. Not about the poem (song?).
 Franz your conclusion about someone trapped in life-support (it wasn't a
coma was it) was identical to what I said as well. If you're in that state,
what's wrong with contemplating this poem? I still think so, after the
discussion.
Dan simply misunderstood the context in which the poem was posted and got
off on a wild hair.
JK

========

Gang,

Thanks to Robert Leverant for Gendun Rinpoche's doha. I see how it flows
from our back-and-forth on impermanence and attachment. How interesting that
it caused a stir. (And good catch, Bob Zeuschner on the "free and easy"
title!)

Commenting on Dan Lusthaus's thought experiment of a comatose person, Joanna
Kirkpatrick asked

>> Well--under such circumstances, what good would a description of
>> one's condition do for one or for anybody else?

and Dan Lusthaus replied

> Exactly!

I'm sorry but I'm lost. It's clear that Dan is disgusted with the doha, and
it also seems Joanna is dubious about it. But it seemed fairly mainstream to
me, and I could make a case--I *won't*, but I *could*--that such an approach
to experience might be liberating for a person trapped in a coma yet perhaps
able to have coherent mental states. What is it about this piece that so
vexed you, Dan?

Franz