[Buddha-l] "Free and Easy" Vajra song

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Wed Feb 27 12:50:50 MST 2008

Gang,

Joanna wrote

> Franz your conclusion about someone trapped in life-support (it
> wasn't a
> coma was it) was identical to what I said as well. If you're in that
> state,
> what's wrong with contemplating this poem? I still think so, after the
> discussion.

Joanna, sorry I misinterpreted your reaction. Dan did mention a coma,
but perhaps he was using the term loosely. I learned during my
father's last weeks that medical folks use the term to describe a
situation where a person can't move rather than can't think or
experience. I think the poem doesn't really apply to a non-
experiencing person. But its intention is to apply to anyone who
experiences, including us. The current pop culture example would be
the author/protagonist in "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly." If your
body is going to be a permanent diving bell, why not let your mind be
a butterfly? (Ah, there's Zhuangzi again.)

I doubt Dan disagrees with us on this point. But it seems to me this
coma/life-support situation is a very narrow set of circumstances. For
the rest of us, with rather broader opportunities for right action and
right livelihood, I think the bar should be higher. Perhaps we all
agree about that, as well.

Irenically,

Franz