[Buddha-l] Course of Nature (1)

wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg
Sun Jun 1 21:27:11 MDT 2008

> What we normally mean by "nature" is that which happens "outside" of
> human activity (human being commonly assumed to be
> somehow "unnatural").

In the show "Amongst White Cloud" - on Buddhist hermit monks/nuns in
Zhongnan mountain in China, one of the dialogues left a deep impression on
me.

There was a pair of hermit monks leaving together. One was more chatty and
another very quiet. In one scene, the interviewer had a chance to talk to
the quieter one. (From memory...) The interviewer asked, "does being
exposed to such beauty and nature help in your practice?" The monk
replied, "Nature? Nature is but a delusion."

Weng-Fai