[Buddha-l] Course of Nature (1)

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Sun Jun 1 17:00:10 MDT 2008

Now that the discussion is over, from a Buddhist point-of-view at
least, I feel emboldened to comment simply on the concept of Nature
and the Course of Nature in general, in response to the statement:
"Because man experiences as progress that which agrees with the
direction in which overall existence moves forward over time . . ."

Looking back on what is known about, and what I understand from
reading about what is known about the history of the earth and life on
earth, there should be no teleological assumptions made about what is
called "the Course of Nature".  The above quotation seems to not only
assume that something called "Nature" moves in a direction, but that
we humans ought somehow get in step with that movement.

What we normally mean by "nature" is that which happens "outside" of
human activity (human being commonly assumed to be somehow "unnatural").

This view of nature (without human intervention) can not be said to be
moving in any particular direction at all, but simply everything
changes all the time. It has no goal and no end-point. (Cosmically we
can say that the universe is expanding and will or will not contract
someday, stars will burn out or explode, and all kinds of things on
the cosmic scale, but I think this cosmic view is probably irrelevant
to the current discussion. "The Course of Nature" seems to usually
refer to this earth.) Evolution, for example, has no "direction", no
"plan", no goal or endpoint. Evolution changes by random variation and
extinction. The major tool of evolution is extinction. Thousands of
variations have become extinct for every variation that survives, and
it appears that the "Course of Nature" is that everything will become
extinct.

But it is "unnatural" to leave human beings out of our view of nature.
And, once humans are included, the nature of Nature changes. Then we
begin to view Nature as having laws, direction, a "course". The
"Course of Nature" is a way humans (who are a legitimate part of that
nature) view Nature. Humans tend to view Nature as what happens
outdoors. Any effect humans have on Nature, especially things that
seem "bad", are viewed as "unnatural", and as affecting the Course of
Nature.  If we humans plant grass and trees and restore long-gone
wildlife to places they have vacated, this seems "good" and "natural".
If we pollute the water and air and drive thousands of species to
extinction, this is seen as bad and unnatural.

I think it is reasonable to think that change is change, change is
"natural", and that change is not going in any particular direction
and has no "course". And the source of the change (its "karma") is
largely irrelevant.

Jim Peavler
jmp at peavler.org