[Buddha-l] Question for acedemic teachers of Buddhism

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Wed Jun 25 08:51:52 MDT 2008

In a message dated 6/24/2008 8:55:03 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
rhayes at unm.edu writes:

> I  don't think Jung was very knowledgeable about Buddhism.

That makes no  difference to his claim, which is about human psychology.
He makes a good  case for the importance of spending a lifetime maturing
into the mythology  of the tradition one learned as a child.
==============
My admittedly limited understanding of Jung is different and is as follows.
All humans share common mental archetypal forms. An example might be the
warrior  archetype. These archetypes are hard-wired into us and not learned.  We
can learn to activate and resonate with these archetypes.  These archetypes
might have slightly different clothing in different  cultures as they are fleshed
out in myths and symbols in popular  culture. The warrior myth I grew up with
was exemplified by John Wayne. If  I grew up in China, this warrior archetype
would appear as a samurai warrior. As  these archetypes are portrayed in myths
and symbols, other undesirable  attributes may be added. For instance, John
Wayne, the man of action (the  archetypal form) also keeps all emotions inside
and solves problems with a gun  (not part to the archetypal form). What Jung
says is important is  activating the basic hard-wired archetypes not what was
added on by our  conditioning.

I have a copy of Jung's Archetypes  somewhere that I will dig  out tonight
and read. In the meantime, I would appreciate someone setting me  straight on my
understanding of Jung.

=====================
[snip]
>  And, westerners as a
> group  probably have much more experience with the Buddhist practice of
>  meditation than ethnic Buddhists as a group.

Yes, Western Buddhists often  labor under the delusion that meditation is
the only legitimate or important  practice in Buddhism. It is sometimes
helpful to point out to them that the  Western Buddhist interest in
meditation verges on obsession and that, like  all obsessions, it may be
somewhat unhealthy.
Meditation can be misused, overdone and become an obsession. Would you  agree
that it does have a place in Buddhist practice (8-Fold Path) and ethnic
Buddhists as a whole tend to not recognize its importance?

Jack