[Buddha-l] Question for acedemic teachers of Buddhism

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Wed Jun 25 12:56:54 MDT 2008

In a message dated 6/25/2008 11:55:11 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
curt at cola.iges.org writes:

For  brushing up on forgotten (or partially remembered) Jung I would
strongly  suggest his "Aion". The first four chapters cover The Ego, The
Shadow, The  Syzygy (Anima/Animus) and The Self in under 30 pages. These
are,  obviously, the most general, the deepest, and, one would think,
most  clearly universal of the Archetypes
===
Thanks for the recommendation. I do have a copy and will reread it at first
opportunity.

I also have and will reread Self and Liberation: The Jung/Buddhism  Dialogue
edited by Daniel Meckel and Robert Moore. It is a collection of  writings by
Jung on Buddhism including the forwards he wrote for various Eastern  works.

Richard made the point that as Buddhism moved from culture to culture it
incorporated what was already there. Zen is different than Thera is different
than Tibetan Buddhism. It is probably true that these adaptations don't  travel
well from culture to culture. Japanese Buddhism is probably not useful to
someone in southeast Asia. Southeast Asian Buddhism might not be useful to many
western Buddhists without being adapted to western culture-as it has been. I
wonder if Jung took this adaptation factor into account.

Jack