[Buddha-l] Question for academic teachers of Buddhism

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Fri Jun 27 10:27:01 MDT 2008

Jackhat1 at aol.com wrote:

> My experience with a local Thai temple has been very interesting. Most of
> the ethnic monks do not meditate. Meditation retreats there are led by western
> born monks and attended only by westerners. Some of the ethnic monks have been
>  puzzled by  westerners' interest in studying the suttas and meditating.
> They seem to feel our interests should be supporting the monks and going
> to the ceremonies.

Many years ago a venerable Tibetan teacher said to me that if someone
sincerely wants to practice meditation and attain realization or to
study the dharma then they should devote their whole life to practice or
study - in which case, according to him, the obvious and practical thing
to do was to become a monk or nun. He felt that only a monastic life
would normally provide a person with the liberty to practice or study
the dharma full time which was necessary if one wanted to succeed at
either. He also stated that the "merit" of monastic ordination meant
that meditation practice would be 100 times more beneficial when done by
a monk than when done by a lay person. On the other hand, he thought
that if a person wanted to lead a lay life they should dedicate all
their energies to working hard and earning money for their family - and,
to gain spiritual merit and a better rebirth they should simply use some
of their hard earned wealth to make offerings and support the sangha.

What puzzled him was th attitude of western dharma students whom he saw
as not being fully committed to one thing or the other. He thought this
attitude would inevitably result in a person succeeding neither
spiritually nor materially. I suspect this way of looking at things may
be fairly ingrained in traditional Asian Buddhist cultures - as your
"ethnic" monks who felt a laypersons interests should be to support the
monks and go to the ceremonies.

Of course later generations of Tibetan lamas soon discovered that
teaching meditation (or claiming to teach meditation) to westerners was
a far easier and quicker way to make money than hard work.

- Chris